We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Are you in a dilemma whether to create a mini site or a content-based web site for your new product or service? The purpose of creating a web site should be to attract visitors and convert them to paying customers. Is a mini site with a few pages enough to do this or should you spend more time and create a content-based web site which contains many pages?
Let's look at some of the Pros and Con:
1. Easy to set up - you don't have to be a programmer these days to create a mini site. Web site templates or software allow most of the work to be done already.
2. Little time - you could create a mini site within one day if you have your entire content ready to go.
3. Laser focused on selling one product or service - a mini site can simply be one long sales page with an order button at the end.
4. No distraction - customers are distracted by other option on the web site. With no banners or links to other sites, the customer can be directed to purchase immediately.
5. Inexpensive to create - if you use a free hosting account (not recommended), you would just pay for registering a domain name. Paid hosting services for a mini site can be acquired for only $30/year.
1. Difficult for search engines to spider - a web site containing many relevant pages of content will tend to rank higher in the search engines than a one page mini site.
2. Lacks pages of content - mini sites often lack in-depth information about their product or service.
3. Difficult to increase link popularity - getting links from other web sites increases your link popularity. Webmasters form other sites want to link to a web site which contains valuable information that expands their visitors experience.
4. Less traffic - less pages means fewer chances for people to find your site in the search engines, thereby limiting the amount of traffic your web site receives.
Content-based web sites
1. Search engine friendly - creating a content-based page for every targeted keyword will enable visitors to enter from numerous points within your site.
2. Easy to acquire links from other sites - webmasters want to link to web sites that will expand their visitors experience by providing more information (ie articles) or simplify their tasks (ie software).
3. Become an authority on your product or service - adding pages of content related to your product, helps people to make an informative decision before purchasing.
4. Lots of traffic - creating lots of keyword focused pages and acquiring incoming and outgoing links to and from other sites generates lots of free traffic.
1. Too many option - customers can become indecisive if their are too many option to choose from.
2. Too many links to other web sites - this may take visitors away from your site and not return. Ideally you want to keep them at your site.
3. Can be expensive to build - content-based sites can cost thousands of dollars to develop if you take into account the cost of graphics and/or hiring someone to build it for you.
4. Takes a lot of time to develop the web site - building content-based pages takes time. It may take several years to create hundreds of content-based pages.
5. Attracts "tire kickers" - visitors want to look around to glean free information but may never buy.
Before you decide on what type of web site to develop, first think of the purpose of your site. If you just need a sales page and want to drive targeted traffic to your site using paid advertising (ie paid per click search engines, ezine ads) then a mini site could be sufficient.
If you plan on becoming an authority on your product or service and want to attract lots of free search engine traffic, then a content-based web site will serve you better.
Alternatively, you may create a combination of the two ie begin with a mini site, leaving room to expand it to a larger content-based web site in the future.
Herman Drost is the Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) owner and author of http://www.iSiteBuild.com Affordable Web Site Design and Low Cost Web Hosting Subscribe to his "Marketing Tips" newsletter for more original articles at:[email protected] You can read more of his in-depth articles at: http://www.isitebuild.com/articles
RELATED WEB SITE DESIGN ARTICLES:
Do You Want To Save Time With Your Web Design?
It starts off simply; a few HTML pages, a few hyperlinks, some affiliate links. Your mother is proud of her clever son.
Designing Your Websites Directory Structure
Any kid, and their grandmother too, can make a webpage. There are many "wysiwyg" webpage design application that let you create a webpage as easy as typing text.
Website Design: Secrets Of Professional Website Designers Revealed
What colors do you have at your website? Can they make a difference in the number of sales that you generate? Can the use of the right colors in your website design actually increase your sales? The answer is yes! So pay attention to these website design secrets. When people see certain colors they can change their emotion or they can symbolize things related to the colors.
When Good Computers Go Bad
Remember the day that you got your new computer (or the hand-me down from Uncle Larry) and you pulled that shiny case out of the box? Once you finally had all of the cables properly mangled into an unmanageable ball, you powered on, the screen lit up and off you went. The PC was fast, programs loaded in the blink of an eye, and Internet surfing was a breeze.
A Crash Course on Graphic Philosophy 101
Novice and professional graphic designers, we are aware that you know the basic principles of graphic philosophy. But then, as workers of art - though digital and graphic art already borders in commercial arts, there's no harm in continuously improving our craft through contant study and practice, is there? Really great graphic designers I know have come to their status because of painstaking application and study of their past works.
Welcoming Your Website Visitors
Imagine you're going on a blind date. You've heard wonderful things about this person, and in your heart of hearts you're thinking -- hoping -- this might just be "the one.
Its No Good Having A Killer Product If You Don't Have A Killer Website
Read the title of this article over a couple of times in your head so it really starts to sink in. So what does this title really mean.
Setting Up a Website
Where does a person start when setting up a website? What software is best to use? Setting up a website is not an easy proposition. If you are interested in knowing what the first step is in setting up your own website, continue reading.
Graphic Design Using Color
Color is everywhere and conveys a message even if we don't realize it. While this message can vary by culture it pays to know what colors "say" in your own corner of the universe, and even what color means to your target market.
The Newbie's Guide to Small Business Web Design
You've got a concept for a business, are excited about putting it out on the Internet, know a little bit about computers and the Internet, but know nothing about building a web site, or web design.You can still be highly successful and save money by doing the job yourself so long as you've got the willingness to learn and the time to spend on the project.
Why Your Site Should be Developed with CSS and Semantic Markup
Why your site should be developed with CSS and semantic markup. One thing that I have learned in over a decade developing web sites is that the Net is continually changing, and to keep up you need to change with it. One of the more recent developments in web design is the use of CSS and semantic markup.
Choose & Use the Best Colors
The Psychology of ColorAre you using the best colors for your web site? Many web designers often overlook the issues of color in web design. When choosing colors for your web site there are three main areas that should be addressed.
The Best Simple Software For The Busy Webmaster
Here are a few programs I can't do without. They're free, and make being a webmaster much easier.
No More Jargon! Pamper Your Audience!
When your company built its website, did you think about the content (the text) of your site? Did you write it for your customers? The answer to these question is often 'No.' The first mistake most companies make when filling their website with content is overlooking who they're writing for.
10 seconds is all it takes? (How to grab the attention of your audience with your web site)
FACT: 30 to 60% of visitors tend to drop off and click to another site when they are forced to click their mouse more often than necessary.FACT: People who use the internet are usually those who are always on-the-go and don't want to spend time figuring out how to navigate any web site.
What Your Website REALLY Says About You And Why It Matters
Everything you say and do says something about you. This has never been more true than in a text based environment like the Internet.
You Had Me At the Search Engine
You've likely heard of the movie, Jerry Maguire, with its famous line, "You had me at hello." Jerry Maguire was luckier than web sites we find in search engines.
The Brutal Truth
Not too long ago while looking for businesses that do web design I stumbled upon website. It looked great.
When Your Graphic Designer Costs You Money
So how do you know when your graphic designer costs you financially and emotionally? When a file is not prepared correctly? When you go to press and have your media material produced in prints, and find out that the file was built incorrectly, then that's the time when your graphic designer will cost you money. Many pre-press operators have complained about having to correct graphic designers work.
Tried and Tested Tips to Improve Your Website - Part 1
1. DO NOT use excessive graphics or banner images on a single web page.
Click here to
Find used office equipment in Ohio at www.OfficeJax.Has.It
Find the best fleamarkets at www.FleaMarketWorld.Has.It
Find electric powered vehicles at www.NoGas.Drives.It
Find advertising supplies below wholesale in Akron, Ohio
Akron University of Akron university housing available
Text Link Ads