Mortgage and Refinancing Information Channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Understanding Mortgage Basics
As common as mortgages are, there are a surprisingly large number of us who are under false impressions about the way they function, and what they actually are. For one thing, though we do commonly call mortgages "home loans," this is not at all what they actually are. In fact, mortgages aren't loans at all, nor are they something that have been given to you by lenders. More accurately, it is a security instrument that you have provided to a lender. It is a document that protects your lender's interest with your property itself.
A mortgage functions in the following way:
- A mortgager (you) - also referred to as a borrower (leading to the false impression that it is a home loan) and the mortgagee, who is also called the lender (again, falsely leading you to think that a loan has been lent).
- The mortgage document itself produces a lien on your property. This is the collateral - the security - for the mortgagee who has provided the security instrument. This lien is recorded within public records - likely at a county courthouse or similar establishment.
- Ownership of the property is then yours and cannot be transferred to anyone else until you have paid off the amount required to reverse the lien.
- Even if your property is mortgaged, you still own the property wholly and completely. Nobody else, not even the mortgagee has title to the property.
- The only right that your mortgage gives to the mortgagee over your property is to sell it to recover funds in the case that you do not pay off your debt. This is the dreaded process referred to as foreclosure.
- Should the mortgage be used for security, then the foreclosure must progress through the court system in order to be legal in the majority of circumstances. This type of foreclosure is referred to as a judicial foreclosure.
Obviously there is much more to mortgages than this, but these are the basic foundations upon which the mortgaging system has been constructed.
MORE RESOURCES updated Sun. May / 28 / 2023
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: May 28, 2023 | Rates Spiked Last Week and Remain High - Business Insider
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: May 28, 2023 | Rates Spiked Last Week and Remain High Business Insider
27% of 2023 Home Buyers Plan to Refinance Once Mortgage Rates Drop. But How Long Will They Have to Wait? - The Motley Fool
27% of 2023 Home Buyers Plan to Refinance Once Mortgage Rates Drop. But How Long Will They Have to Wait? The Motley Fool
The Great Pandemic Mortgage Refinance Boom - Liberty Street Economics Liberty Street Economics -
Why Older People Can’t Get New Mortgages The New York Times
Compare Today’s Refinance Rates | U.S. U.S News & World Report Money
What is mortgage refinancing and how does it work? Yahoo Finance
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: May 21, 2023 | Rates are Flat for now, but Should Drop Later This Year - Business Insider
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: May 21, 2023 | Rates are Flat for now, but Should Drop Later This Year Business Insider
How to get a low-cost mortgage refinance Yahoo Finance
Should you refinance your mortgage to pay off debt? New York Post
Banks to be stuck with 'mortgage prisoners' as those who can refinance their home loan search for a better interest rate - ABC News
Banks to be stuck with 'mortgage prisoners' as those who can refinance their home loan search for a better interest rate ABC News
What Credit Score Is Needed To Refinance a House | Chase Chase News & Stories
Total Household Debt Reaches $17.05 trillion in Q1 2023; Mortgage ... - Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Total Household Debt Reaches $17.05 trillion in Q1 2023; Mortgage ... Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Consumers consider reverse mortgages less often than other home ... ReverseMortgageDaily
Monthly Mortgage Payments Could Increase Rapidly if the U.S. ... The Motley Fool
Ask Chuck: How can I ever afford a home? The Christian Post
Refinancing your mortgage could save you thousands — here are some of the best refinance lenders - CNBC
Refinancing your mortgage could save you thousands — here are some of the best refinance lenders CNBC
How To Remove PMI: A Complete Guide Zing! Blog by Quicken Loans
CFPB: Choosing a Cheaper Mortgage Lender Could Save You ... The Truth About Mortgage
How does mortgage refinancing work? CBS News
Should I Refinance My Mortgage? - Buy Side from WSJ The Wall Street Journal
Here’s how sharply mortgage refinancing has dropped off Yahoo Finance
CFPB Launches Effort to Spur New Opportunities for Homeowners ... - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
CFPB Launches Effort to Spur New Opportunities for Homeowners ... Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Today’s 30-year mortgage refinance rates hit lowest levels in 15 days | Oct. 28, 2022 - Fox Business
Analysis | It Will Pay to Wait to Refinance Your UK Mortgage The Washington Post
Small Business Loan Refinance Bankrate.com
VA Refinance Rates - Current VA Loan Refinance Rates Today Business Insider
Debt-Ceiling Deal Is Close. Recession And Stock-Market Drop May ... Investor's Business Daily
Current 15-Year Refinance Rates Today Business Insider
Refinance Closing: An Overview Zing! Blog by Quicken Loans
7 Refinancing Programs for Seniors Total Mortgage
Compare Current 30-Year Refinance Rates Business Insider