Mortgage and Refinancing Information Channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Refinancing Your Mortgage Can Really Save You Money
Refinancing a mortgage is simply taking out a new mortgage. It means paying off one or more old debts by getting a new loan. Sometimes, refinancing your mortgage can really save you money. You may be able to pay less interest, lower your monthly payment, or convert from a 30-year loan to a 15-year loan and build your equity faster. But be sure that refinancing is right for you.
1. Refinancing can be a good idea for you if you:
- want to get out of a high interest rate loan to take advantage of lower rates. This is a good idea only if you intend to stay in the house long enough to make the additional fees worthwhile.
- have an adjustable-rate mortgage and want a fixed-rate loan to have the certainty of knowing exactly what the mortgage payment will be for the life of the loan.
- want to convert to an adjustable-rate mortgage with a lower interest rate or more protective features.
- want to build up equity more quickly by converting to a loan with a shorter term.
- want to draw on the equity built up in your house to get cash for a major purchase or for your children's education.
2. Some situations where refinancing your mortgage can really save you money:
- refinancing your higher interest rate unsecured loans with lower interest rate unsecured loans if the terms of the loans are comparable and the new rate is lower than the existing rate.
- refinancing your secured debts (such as your mortgage or car loan) if the new loan is for the same length of time left on your old loan (or shorter), and the interest rate on the new loan is substantially lower than the interest rate on your existing loan.
- refinancing your home to pay-off expensive car loans or credit cards provided you're not in financial difficulty and not at risk of losing your home.
Mortgage refinancing can be worthwhile, but it does not make good financial sense for every homeowner. A general role of thumb is that refinancing becomes worth your while if the current interest rate on your mortgage is at least 2 percentage points higher than the prevailing market rate. This figure is generally accepted as the safe margin when balancing the costs of refinancing a mortgage against the savings.
Sometimes, refinancing is an appropriate way to resolve financial problems. In some situations, however, refinancing can make existing financial problems worse. If you decide that refinancing is not worth the costs, ask your lender whether you may be able to obtain all or some of the new terms you want by agreeing to a modification of your existing loan instead of a refinancing.
Copyright © 2005. Chileshe Mwape writes for the Mortgage Lender Guide at: http://www.lending-guide.org/ which offers informative articles about mortgages and loans.
This article may be reprinted as long as all the above links are active and clickable.
MORE RESOURCES updated Tue. June / 06 / 2023
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: June 6, 2023 | 30-year Rates Increase 1.7% Since Last June - Business Insider
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: June 6, 2023 | 30-year Rates Increase 1.7% Since Last June Business Insider
It May Cost More to Refinance a Mortgage Than You Think Yahoo Finance
The Great Pandemic Mortgage Refinance Boom - Liberty Street ... Liberty Street Economics -
Today's refinance rates decline - June 6, 2023 Bankrate.com
Compare Today’s Refinance Rates | U.S. U.S News & World Report Money
How to get a low-cost mortgage refinance Yahoo Finance
The Fed’s man-made housing market recession hit so hard that 4 real estate titans just lost their Fortune 500 status - Fortune
The Fed’s man-made housing market recession hit so hard that 4 real estate titans just lost their Fortune 500 status Fortune
What is mortgage refinancing and how does it work? Yahoo Finance
Interest-Only Loans Helped Commercial Property Boom. Now They ... The Wall Street Journal
No Regrets Getting An ARM Despite Higher Mortgage Rates Financial Samurai
Fixed rate cliff spurs record mortgage refinancing MacroBusiness
Refinancing your mortgage could save you thousands — here are some of the best refinance lenders - CNBC
Refinancing your mortgage could save you thousands — here are some of the best refinance lenders CNBC
How does mortgage refinancing work? CBS News
Here’s how sharply mortgage refinancing has dropped off Yahoo Finance
Today's Mortgage, Refinance Rates: May 29, 2023 | Rates Still High Business Insider
CFPB Launches Effort to Spur New Opportunities for Homeowners ... - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
CFPB Launches Effort to Spur New Opportunities for Homeowners ... Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Today’s 30-year mortgage refinance rates hit lowest levels in 15 days | Oct. 28, 2022 - Fox Business
Analysis | It Will Pay to Wait to Refinance Your UK Mortgage The Washington Post
Why Older People Can’t Get New Mortgages The New York Times
Should you refinance your mortgage to pay off debt? New York Post
VA refinance rates - current VA loan refinance rates today Business Insider
Small Business Loan Refinance Bankrate.com
Current 15-year refinance rates today Business Insider
Refinance Closing: An Overview Zing! Blog by Quicken Loans
What Credit Score Is Needed To Refinance a House | Chase Chase News & Stories
Compare Current 30-year Refinance Rates Business Insider
7 Refinancing Programs for Seniors Total Mortgage
Today’s mortgage refinance rates: 10- and 15-year rates hold steady | September 20, 2022 - Fox Business
Today’s mortgage refinance rates: 10- and 15-year rates hold steady | September 20, 2022 Fox Business
Understanding A No-Appraisal Refinance Zing! Blog by Quicken Loans