Currency Trading Information Channel
How To Control Fear And Greed In Trading
There is an old saying that the market is driven by fear and greed. Anyone that has placed more than a couple of trades will surely have experienced these two emotions.
All traders experience emotion. The distinction between a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader comes down to how they deal with that emotion. Let's look at how these emotions affect a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader in various scenarios:
1. The trader's three previous trades have been losers. The unsuccessful trader will consider this before placing his next trade and be fearful that this trade will also end up a loser. This might result in a delay in placing the trade whilst waiting for the price to confirm that they were right - thus missing a perfectly good entry. They might suddenly discover that some other factor, previously unconsidered, is a reason not to enter the trade at all. Basically they will be fearful of another loss.
The successful trader will have tested their strategy extensively and will be aware that a series of losing trades is very probable. They will also measure their success on whether they place the trade according to their system rather than whether it is purely a winner or a loser. They trust their system and place the trade when the set-up occurs. The fear is removed from the trade because they know that several losers in a row is to be expected.
2. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves against the trader. The unsuccessful trader will fear that they have made a mistake. They fear making another loss so they wait and hope that the market moves back in their favour. The fear of taking another loss now controls their trading decisions, they might move their stop further out so the market doesn't take them out for a loss. They might ignore the trade, hoping that it will get back to at least breakeven - the daytrade becomes a position trade of a few days and then it becomes a long term 'buy and hold' strategy.
The successful trader, of course, will know from extensive testing of his system that such trades happen and that the trade might come round or it might hit the stop. His stop is in place and it will remain in place - the system dictates where the stop is, not the trader's fears.
3. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves strongly in the traders favour. The unsuccessful trader will suddenly see a villa in the sun or a new sports car flashing before his eyes. This trade is going to the moon so he removes his price target and decides to let it go. Greed has now completely taken over his trading decisions and the previous plan (if any) is ignored. Of course, markets rarely move in one direction for long and when the market turns the greed turns to fear as the dream slips away and the trader tries to hold on until the price gets back to where it was. The daytrade becomes a position trade...
The successful trader has set a target, either a certain price or a timed exit and will stick to it. If the trade only takes 5 minutes then that's just great, there's plenty that won't.
Fear and greed are human emotions - we can't do anything about that. But, when it comes to trading we need a way to control those emotions. Here's a few tips:
1. Know your system. If you have confidence in your system this helps to override those feelings of fear and greed. Confidence can only come from designing and extensively testing your own ideas. You can never be fully confident when you rely on someone else's tips or signals.
2. Automate your system. Computers do not suffer from fear and greed, they won't hold onto a loser praying for a miracle or screaming at the screen that the market is wrong - they'll just cut it if that is what the system says to do.
3. Money management. Quite simply, no matter how good your system you must only risk a sensible amount - and always money you can afford to lose.
Tim Wreford runs Online Futures Trading, a website that provides information and resources for traders. Tim also provides a free day trading system, the results of which are updated daily on the site.
MORE RESOURCES updated Sun. April / 18 / 2021
Best Forex Trading Platforms In 2021 Yahoo Finance
All The Differences Between Forex Trading and Crypto-Trading hackernoon.com
Trading Lots and Other Eco-Friendly Forex Trading Strategies - Blue & Green Tomorrow - Blue & Green Tomorrow
Trading Lots and Other Eco-Friendly Forex Trading Strategies - Blue & Green Tomorrow Blue & Green Tomorrow
A comprehensive understanding of Forex trading The Portugal News
How to Trade Forex as a Beginner Finance Magnates
State Street will partner with Pure Digital to create an institutional digital currency trading platform - Markets Insider
State Street will partner with Pure Digital to create an institutional digital currency trading platform Markets Insider
Litecoin Falls 10.16% In Bearish Trade Investing.com India
Coinbase soars in market debut, briefly topping $100 billion value The Pasadena Star-News
Five Reasons Why the Market is So Volatile Investing.com India
8 Crucial Factors to consider when opening your Online Forex Trading Account South Coast Herald
Forex Weekly Look Back: HYCM on the rise of retail trading, ATFX launches AT Premier - Leaprate Forex Trading News
Forex Weekly Look Back: HYCM on the rise of retail trading, ATFX launches AT Premier Leaprate Forex Trading News
What Is Forex Trading? Forbes
Bitfarms Announces Hashrate Growth, Bitcoin Inventory and Stock Market Listing Updates - GlobeNewswire
Bitfarms Announces Hashrate Growth, Bitcoin Inventory and Stock Market Listing Updates GlobeNewswire
Asian shares mixed as vaccine wait tempers Wall St optimism Northwest Georgia News
The 6 Best Online Forex Trading Classes of 2021 Investopedia
Forex Trading – How Do I begin? - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor
How to Trade Commodity Currencies in Forex Trading Moneyshow.com
Things You Need To Know Before Entering Forex Trading NuWire Investor
A beginner's guide to Forex trading BusinessMole
How do you get started in trading forex? The Armchair Trader
Forex Market: Unlocking Opportunities for Investors Visual Capitalist
Next Forex Trading Terms You Need to Know Before Trading North Forty News
Best online brokers for forex trading in April 2021 Bankrate.com
Forex Brokers: Are They a Scam? | Investing | US News U.S News & World Report Money
The Currency-Market Snoozefest Might Not Last The Wall Street Journal
Most profitable forex pairs Capital.com
Making Money By Forex Trading The FINANCIAL
How Does The Foreign Exchange Market Work? Investment U
Everything To Know About Getting Into Forex Trading GQ Australia
Understanding currency trading and its dynamics Nairametrics
Legacy 4X Forex: Where Aspiring Traders Master Forex Trading and the Ins and Outs of the Forex Market - Yahoo Finance
Legacy 4X Forex: Where Aspiring Traders Master Forex Trading and the Ins and Outs of the Forex Market Yahoo Finance
Five ways to learn currency trading business Gary Skentelbery
Facts You Need To Know About Forex Trading Forbes India
A guide to forex trading instruments - Boca Raton's Most Reliable News Source - The Boca Raton Tribune
A guide to forex trading instruments - Boca Raton's Most Reliable News Source The Boca Raton Tribune
Timing Entry And Exit When Forex Trading - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor
How to Trade Forex? - A Guide to Forex Trading in 2021 DailyForex.com
EUR/JPY looks firmer near 130.50 ahead of US data Forex Crunch
Foreign exchange data wars heat up as rivals take on ‘Big Two’ Financial Times
Dispute brews between EU and currency traders on Mifid reform Financial Times
Best Forex Trading Platform Choices of 2021 Fortunly News
Forex Trading: What you need to know before investing Loop News St. Lucia
Forex Trading Industry Statistics and Facts 2020 DailyForex.com
Volatility in North Korea's Currency Trading: Does a Rising Won Mean Trouble Ahead, or Progress? - 38 North
Volatility in North Korea's Currency Trading: Does a Rising Won Mean Trouble Ahead, or Progress? 38 North
What Is Forex Trading and How Does it Work? Money and Markets
The Basics of Currency Trading Investopedia
Understanding the Gaps in Forex Trading Finance Magnates
Investopedia Forex Trading: A Beginner's Guide Investopedia