Currency Trading Information Channel
10 Steps To Professional Day Trading
Everyone trades a little differently. The trading method outlined below is MY personal approach to trading. This method has worked for me for the last 20 years, and has helped me to avoid big draw downs since the mid 1980's. My trading strategy has helped me to make a good living trading.
It takes some time to learn my method of trading because it's based on tape reading and getting a "feel" for the market. This is *not* about a fast,easy formula to "get rich quick" while you sweat out every trade. Instead, this is about developing confidence and trading consistently without fear and without big draw downs.
Here is my 10 Step Approach to Learning My Style of Trading:
1. Practice exiting trades at break-even, using a one-tick target, a two or three tick soft stop (mental stop) and a 1.5 point hard stop. Never *allow* the market hit your hard stop. Exit by moving your target toward your hard stop, not by moving your hard stop towards your target. With time, all of this must become a reflex. You won't always be able to keep your losses down to 2 ticks, but only on rare occasions should you find yourself letting the market hit your hard stop. ("Rarely" means only about once every 50-100 trades after you get the hang of it.)
Even though your entries won't be good enough in the beginning to make a profit trading these tight soft stops, your entries will gradually improve until you turn the corner and become profitable.
Learn exits and entries separately. Don't let the one influence the other.
Taking losses this way takes dedication and discipline, so stick with it. It's the key to confident trading. If you never take large losses (and rarely medium size ones), the fear of loss pretty much goes away, and your confidence grows. Especially after your entries improve enough to support a "scalping" type exit strategy.
2. Every trade *in all market conditions* begins as a scalp. Let me clarify this: if you're in a choppy market and you're looking to get small gains, like a point or so, manage your initial hard and soft stops *exactly* the same way you would in a quick trend or any other type of market. That means keeping losses as close to 2 ticks as possible, taking lots of break even trades and exiting every time the market doesn't give you *instant gratification* (within a minute or so).
No matter what the market is doing, you must demand that it moves in your favor right after you enter, otherwise you get out as close to break even as possible. This means you'll be closing a lot of trades near break-even within the first minute. This is the foundation of learning to trade for consistent gains.
3. Don't worry about the commissions on break-even trades. If you do, you'll hold on to losing positions, begging them to turn around for you. This is called *hoping.* In this business, this type of *hoping* is the kiss of death. Your money-making trades must move your way in the first minute or less. When trades don't act right in the first minute, most of them will hit your hard stops.
So don't get hung up on the fact that your broker loves you. Who cares if he/she makes a living?
Your concern is *limiting losses*. I care more about this than anything else in trading. (Well-timed entries make my tight soft stops possible, so they're almost as important as the exits.)
4. Practice your entries until your timing is so good that you can *reasonably expect* the market to go your way immediately, before it goes more than 2 ticks against you. This is not easy at first, but if you stick with it, you'll get it.
5. Practice fading the emotional extremes on your entries. (Fading means entering in the opposite direction of the market's last move.) When an extreme NYSE-Tick (often above 1000 or below -1000) occurs at the same time the market accelerates into a support or resistance area, look for a price stall or reversal and fade the move. Fade the emotion.
6. Rarely, if ever, *chase* the market on your entries. Wait for a pullback to get onboard a trend.
I favor shorts over longs... I can get out of a short position quicker than I can get out of a long position. I don't know why. I like to say that I "see gravity better than helium." In the rare strong-trending markets where I may chase an entry, it's going to be a down trend, not an uptrend. I don't trust up trends enough to chase them. Maybe it's just a personal quirk and maybe not. I honestly don't know.
But it's interesting to note that most (not all) professional traders I've met are Bears and prefer short positions over longs. You should give it some thought and find out which direction works better for you. Are your losses bigger on shorts or longs? Specialize in one direction and trade the other direction only when things are looking real good.
7. Never let a gain turn into a loss. This will mean getting out of most trades a little (or a lot) too soon. You just have to live with it. Swing for home runs (greed) will ruin your trading. There is no mechanical formula that I know of, (such as, "move your stop to break even after you get 3 ticks gain") that will work. You have to develop a feel for how the market is acting at the moment, and use your feel to reduce your target or advance your hard stop. This comes with experience.
8. Develop a feel for the big picture movements of the market, not just the intraday action. Use the end-of-day market internals to analyze the market's mood and develop a daily bias.
9. Practice does *not* make perfect. Only *perfect practice* makes perfect. I learned this in my younger years, pursuing a professional baseball career. Perfect practice will keep your losses smaller than your gains in the trading business.
There are a lot of things involved in perfect practice. When you get tired, or when the phone rings, or whatnot, *don't trade*. Always, *always* exit trades exactly the way I've outlined above on every trade in every market condition. Always *wait* for your pitch, the well-timed setup for entering. Don't practice sloppy entries just because you're bored. Only perfect practice will help you. Anything else just amounts to practicing bad habits.
10. Get a mentor. I traded for 6 years before I learned to keep my losses small. My trading turned around immediately after I met my mentor and talked to him on the phone for one week. Is there any serious profession that you can learn without a mentor? Maybe there is, but I don't know of any. It's certainly not trading.
Mike Reed is author of TradeStalker's RBI Trader's Updates. He has been trading the Market for 23 years. His support and resistance numbers have been published on the internet since 1996. Mike's nightly support and resistance zones are specific and incredibly accurate. He offers an unlimited free trial of his nightly TradeStalker RBI Trader's Updates. He will be offering "live" training online as well. http://www.TradeStalker.com
Copyright 2005 Mike Reed
MORE RESOURCES updated Sun. May / 16 / 2021
Can I Get Rich With Forex in 2021? Study Breaks
Taking stock of tax implications in forex trading BL on Campus
How to Become a Forex Trader and Whether You Should Market Realist
Trading Support and Resistance DailyForex.com
How can forex trading benefit you? Deccan Chronicle
What is Expected in the Foreign Exchange Market in 2021? Finance Magnates
Best currency pairs to trade for beginners Capital.com
Bitcoin passes the ransom test Reuters
Is Forex Trading Easier Than Stocks? SAPeople News
8 Best Crypto Exchanges For Altcoins Bitcoin, ETH, and More: Top Cryptocurrency Trading Platforms Reviewed - Miami Herald
8 Best Crypto Exchanges For Altcoins Bitcoin, ETH, and More: Top Cryptocurrency Trading Platforms Reviewed Miami Herald
Coinseed moved all of its clients' assets into dogecoin without telling them, new report says - Markets Insider
Coinseed moved all of its clients' assets into dogecoin without telling them, new report says Markets Insider
FTX.US hires former Citadel Securities exec to 'massively scale' its crypto exchange - The Block Crypto
FTX.US hires former Citadel Securities exec to 'massively scale' its crypto exchange The Block Crypto
Emerging Trends in Digital Currency Trading Platform Market In-Depth Analysis & Global Outlook by 2021-2027 | Bittrex, Bit Flyer, BitMEX, Bitfinex, Kraken, ZBG, BigONE, OKEX – KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper
Emerging Trends in Digital Currency Trading Platform Market In-Depth Analysis & Global Outlook by 2021-2027 | Bittrex, Bit Flyer, BitMEX, Bitfinex, Kraken, ZBG, BigONE, OKEX – KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper
Cardano Climbs 12.21% In Bullish Trade Investing.com India
Cryptocurrency Market to Hit USD 1758.0 Million by 2027; Growing Acceptance of Cryptocurrency in Various Nations to Foster Market Growth: Says Fortune Business Insights™ - Yahoo Finance
Cryptocurrency Market to Hit USD 1758.0 Million by 2027; Growing Acceptance of Cryptocurrency in Various Nations to Foster Market Growth: Says Fortune Business Insights™ Yahoo Finance
USD/CAD - Canadian Dollar Opens Nearly Unchanged Baystreet.ca
Binance's Indian exchange lists Shiba Inu coin a day after Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin's $1 billion donation - Business Insider
Binance's Indian exchange lists Shiba Inu coin a day after Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin's $1 billion donation Business Insider
What Is Forex Trading? Forbes
Bullish and Bearish Bias in Forex Trading EarnForex News
Forex Trading – How Do I begin? - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor
Bitcoin has Become More Common in Everyday Transactions Live Trading News
Fidelity Investments flies past staggering $10T milestone, but Schwab, finally fully loaded with Q1 results from TDA merger, steals some of the Boston giant's thunder - RIABiz
Fidelity Investments flies past staggering $10T milestone, but Schwab, finally fully loaded with Q1 results from TDA merger, steals some of the Boston giant's thunder RIABiz
Gold Price Analysis: XAU/USD to extend its climb on a break above $1849/67 – Credit Suisse - Forex Crunch
Gold Price Analysis: XAU/USD to extend its climb on a break above $1849/67 – Credit Suisse Forex Crunch
Trading Lots and Other Eco-Friendly Forex Trading Strategies Blue & Green Tomorrow
Hanoi dismantles four cryptocurrency trading floors VnExpress International
Lack of clarity: ICICI Bank shuts out crypto trades Economic Times
GBP/EUR: Pound Set For Weekly Gains Currency Live
Best Forex Trading Platforms In 2021 Yahoo Finance
Things You Need To Know Before Entering Forex Trading NuWire Investor
CBN Erases Exchange Rate on Its Website as Naira Falls Proshare Nigeria Limited
GBP/USD to find support at 1.4018 for a move towards the 1.4377 2018 high – Commerzbank - Forex Crunch
GBP/USD to find support at 1.4018 for a move towards the 1.4377 2018 high – Commerzbank Forex Crunch
Forex Market: Unlocking Opportunities for Investors Visual Capitalist
A beginner's guide to Forex trading BusinessMole
3 Forex Experts Ethical Investors Can Learn From Blue & Green Tomorrow
State-Owned Swiss Bank Launches Crypto Trading App Securities.io
A comprehensive understanding of Forex trading The Portugal News
is Forex Trading a Good Way to Make Money Online ? Love Belfast
Forex Brokers: Are They a Scam? | Investing | US News - U.S News & World Report Money - U.S News & World Report Money
Forex Brokers: Are They a Scam? | Investing | US News - U.S News & World Report Money U.S News & World Report Money
Next Forex Trading Terms You Need to Know Before Trading North Forty News
How to Trade Forex as a Beginner Finance Magnates
Making Money By Forex Trading The FINANCIAL
The Currency-Market Snoozefest Might Not Last The Wall Street Journal
COVID-19 and the Forex Market in 2021 Finance Magnates
How to Trade Forex? - A Guide to Forex Trading in 2021 DailyForex.com
Best online brokers for forex trading in May 2021 Bankrate.com
Understanding currency trading and its dynamics Nairametrics
The Participants in Forex Trading and their Role in the Market Finance Magnates
Dispute brews between EU and currency traders on Mifid reform Financial Times
Best Forex Trading Platform Choices of 2021 Fortunly News
Report on State of Kenya’s Online Forex Trading Industry in 2021 Finance Magnates
Proven Forex Trading Strategies for Beginners The FINANCIAL
Understanding the Gaps in Forex Trading Finance Magnates
Legacy 4X Forex: Where Aspiring Traders Master Forex Trading and the Ins and Outs of the Forex Market - Yahoo Finance
Legacy 4X Forex: Where Aspiring Traders Master Forex Trading and the Ins and Outs of the Forex Market Yahoo Finance
How does the currency market work? - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor