Best Business Tips and Strategies information channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students
to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Cash is king-so they say. If you work for yourself or someone else, you need to be aware of ways to improve the cash flow. Budgeting and collecting are not glamorous but they are both key to having a successful business. Working in a successful business is much more fun than working for a struggling one!
1. Stick to your budget. (If you don't have one, make one now.) The budget is part of a business plan. You want to know exactly how much to spend on each large item you purchase and when you will have the cash to do it. Your cash flow projection coupled with your forecast will give you the proper timing for making purchases. The items you have budgeted for should also be part of the business plan.
2. Bill your clients regularly. Many business owners are so busy selling to new clients that they forget to invoice the clients they have already worked with. Put the task of billing your clients on your calendar and then stick to that schedule.
3. Get a retainer for your services before you begin the work. If you are going to be working with a client over a period of time, you will want to request some money up front before you begin to deliver the service.
4. Give a discount for early payment. You will be able to collect the money more quickly if you offer a discount for prompt payment.
5. Accept a credit card for payment. Although you have to pay the credit card company for this service, having the convenience of a credit card allows the client to pay immediately. Collection is now the problem of the credit card company.
6. Use your own credit card to finance purchases but do it cautiously. If the interest rate is low and you can pay the credit card company back relatively quickly, credit cards are often a good way to even out your cash flow.
7. Establish a line of credit with a bank. This is relatively easy to do so long as you have good credit and it gives you a cushion of cash when things are tight. Sometimes the bank will offer a really good rate to encourage you to become their customer for other banking services.
8. Put the cash that you have on hand in an interest bearing account. No reason to have cash sitting in an account that doesn't accrue much interest. As cash grows consider money market accounts, CDs and savings accounts.
9. Pay your outstanding bills judiciously. Notice which vendors are willing to wait for payment and which will charge you interest if you are late. Schedule payment to maximize the cash in your account.
10. Consider getting an expert to watch your cash flow. Have someone (financial advisor, accountant, bookkeeper) available to run financial reports each month so you know exactly where you stand in your business.
Alvah Parker is a Business and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parker's Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. Parker's Value Program© enables her clients to find their own way to work that is more fulfilling and profitable. Her clients are managers, business owners, sole practioners, attorneys and people in transition. Alvah is found on the web at http://www.asparker.com. She may also be reached at 781-598-0388.
Business Attire: 10 Tips to Perfect Your Look
Being appropriately dressed is essential in making good impressions in the business and corporate worlds. A polished image is important in business survival and can be an important factor in career advancement.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Michael Dell
1. Think Big - In college, Michael Dell said he wanted to "beat IBM.
After Hurricane Katrina - Seven Things You Can Do
If you are like me, you are living some distance from the devastation wrought by Katrina. If you are like me you not physically impacted and can watch the plight of others on television in the comfort of your home.
Wealth Building Scams
I have some good news and I have some bad news. First the good news.
10 Steps for Business Owners to Take if They Are a Victim of Identity Theft
Be aware that 40 million crooks obtained credit card numbers this past year, "Be Suspicious". Also be aware that most identify theft is not reported, especially when it involves family members, so the statistics are off.
I WANT IT NOW - 10 Tips for Freight & Drayage at Trade Shows
Gas prices continue to go through the roof and increased transportation costs will increase trade show costs across the board. Here are 10 Tips for saving time, money and your sanity.
7 Things You Can Do To Weather The Lows Of A Business Cycle
Hey, as hard as this may be for you to swallow, business online is no different than a business on Main Street in your home town or city. We have good times and we have slow times.
How To Make $20.00 For Every $1.00 Invested
It has been said you can lift the Rock of Gibraltar if you have a fulcrum point and long enough lever. When we refer to "financial leverage" we are talking about the same principle.
How To Take Daily Big Rock Actions To Jumpstart Your Business Into Massive Momentum
Do you know exactly what actions you need to do today to be on track to reaching your big, long-term goals? Do you know which actions should be done first to make today a success? If not, don't worry about it right now. By the end of this article, you will have the tools and techniques you need to answer a confident YES to both these questions.
The Top 10 Reasons Your Staff Wants to Quit
From an employee's perspective, management often conducts itself in ways that make no sense. When the economy is slow, jobs are few and far in between or people are fearful, staff will tolerate management behaviors and policies that are nonsensical (in their eyes) or they judge are harmful.
Top Seven Questions for Starting Projects More Effectively
We all are project managers. Some of us manage projects like vacations or reunions, while others run implementations of new software systems, consolidation divisions of companies, launch new products, or build buildings.
10 Things To Ask Your Accountant
This is a quick checklist of a few things that you, as a new business, should expect to ask your accountant (or potential accountant).1.
Top Ten Listening Skills for Speakers
Good Speakers need good listening skills to become Great Communicators. Speakers spend a lot of time developing speaking skills and often don't focus enough on the equally important communication skill of listening. As a Speaker trained in the art of listening I have put together the tips below.
Start Your Own Website in 10 Easy Steps
If you're a beginner, starting a website doesn't have to be difficult. If you begin with a good idea and take it step-by-step, you'll reap the rewards of a popular website.
Get Your Mailing Noticed - Seven Tips for Effective Direct Mail Pieces
When sending mail to clients and potential clients, make your mailing stand out from the stacks of "junk mail" they receive. Here are a few easy ways to get their attention.
Surviving When Clients Aren't Rolling In
As the holiday season starts to settle in, the workload for many Micro-Businesses can slow down. Service-based businesses in particular consider this a slow time of the year.
The Benefits Of Helping An Online Business Newbie
Do your remember when you first ventured out in the online business world? You probably had questions and problems along the way. Wouldn't it have been easier if you had help? When a newbie asks for your advice, educate them; answer their questions and help them solve their online business problems.
The Hidden Power Of Understanding: A Secret To Building Massive Momentum In Your Business
You're busy with your business today, aren't you? You're pushing your mind and body to the limit just about everyday to handle all the activities that need to be done. But something's missing.
7 Ways To Profit From Other Peoples Products
If you don't possess the time, money or inclination to create your own hot selling product there is plenty of scope for profit by using other people's.In this quick article I'll detail the best ways to take a third-party product and use it to fill your own bank account.
Ten Top Performance Management Tips
Talk to Your People Often By building a great relationship with your people you will bring trust, honesty and information. This gives you a head start in Performance Management of your people.
Akron City Directory
© 2012 - 2024 All Rights Reserved