Mortgage and Refinancing Information Channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Ten Things a Mortgage Processor Must Know to be Effective
From time to time, we hear a story about a processor gone bad. A processor that seemed so knowledgeable early on but now isn't keeping pace and can't seem to get along with anyone. Many unhappy customers, unhappy loan officers, and denied files later, Mr. Broker is forced to seek out a resolution.
Replacement or continuing education will be required to address the immediate issue. Additionally, Mr. Broker will need to conduct a more in-depth preliminary interview to determine if the next processing candidate can really meet his expectations.
An experienced processor should know:
1. How to analyze a loan file - Knowing the elements that make or break a deal is essential. It is critical that a processor has the ability to take a look at a loan application with its supporting documentation and quickly determine the likelihood of that file closing. If challenges are identified, the processor should have some idea of what has to happen (and in what time frame) for the loan to be approved.
2. How to review title and appraisal reports - Title and appraisal documents should be reviewed for issues or inconsistencies upon receipt. Title liens and appraisal issues often take a considerable amount of time to resolve. The underwriting process is expedited when those things are identified and addressed early rather than left for discovery by the lender.
3. How to calculate income - The income noted on the 1003 should always be based on calculations made using actual file documentation rather than the borrower's rough estimate. If the income consists of more than regular wages or salary, the processor should know how the lender views and calculates that particular source of income rather than assume it will be acceptable.
4. How to analyze credit - A processor should have the ability to analyze a credit report regardless of what credit bureau or repository provided it. In addition to understanding the content of the report, the processor should know what documentation is required to address that credit profile.
5. How to shop a loan - Long gone are the days of shipping a loan to a lender just to find out that it won't fly as submitted. Take advantage of the lender's quick qualification and automated underwriting system to close more loans. Underwriting guidelines, program matrixes, rate sheets, and more may be available on the lender's website.
6. How to verify employment - Don't waste time making repeated phone calls only to find that the verification has to be submitted in writing or is available instantly via an automated system. Ask the borrower upfront. You may find that they already have a PIN or direct contact to expedite the process.
7. How and when to request file documentation - In order for a loan to close in a timely fashion, file documentation must be available when needed. Find out the turn around time for all of the documents required for your file and request them far enough in advance.
8. Know alternative ways to meet document requirements and underwriting conditions - An experienced processor knows that although the condition sheet says that the lender wants one thing, they will actually accept another. Knowing how to ask the right person the right questions can save a lot of time and trouble.
9. How to avoid closing delays - You'd be surprised how many times someone forgot about that "at closing" condition. Pay special attention to those conditions and get as many as possible cleared beforehand. Additionally, make certain that you are aware of the lender's deadline for closing document requests.
10. How to avoid funding delays - Funding delays can kill your referral business. Don't assume that all is well during the rescission period. Confirm with the lender that all prior to funding request have been met and that they have the correct wiring instructions for the title company.
Stephanie Graham is a mortgage professional with more than two decades of experience in both retail and wholesale lending. Stephanie has excelled in a number of mortgage industry positions including CRA officer,corporate trainer, and consultant. Stephanie is currently a part of the executive team of Complete Mortgage Processing. More tips and techniques for mortgage processing and origination can be found at http: http://www.completemortgageprocessing.com
MORE RESOURCES updated Tue. September / 22 / 2020
Mortgage and refinance rates today, September 21, 2020 | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy - The Mortgage Reports
How to refinance your mortgage in 5 easy steps Fox Business
Mortgage lenders are adding the refinancing fee. You can still avoid it if you act now. - Bankrate.com
Mortgage lenders are adding the refinancing fee. You can still avoid it if you act now. Bankrate.com
A record number of borrowers can now save on a mortgage refinance, as rates set another historic low - CNBC
A record number of borrowers can now save on a mortgage refinance, as rates set another historic low CNBC
How to refinance your mortgage without closing costs Fox Business
How often can you refinance your mortgage? Fox Business
Mortgage and refinance rates today, September 16, 2020 | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy - The Mortgage Reports
Mortgage and refinance rates today, September 16, 2020 | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy The Mortgage Reports
Mortgage and refinance rates today, September 15, 2020 | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy - The Mortgage Reports
Mortgage and refinance rates today, September 15, 2020 | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy The Mortgage Reports
How and Why to Refinance Your Mortgage: A Step-By-Step Guide ActionNewsJax.com
Refinance your home before December 1 to avoid paying a new fee Business Insider
Should you refinance your mortgage? Tennessean
Mortgage Refinance Calculator Clark.com
Complete Checklist of Mortgage Refinancing Requirements Credible News
When Should I Refinance With a No Closing Cost Mortgage? Clark.com - Clark Howard
Today's best mortgage and refinance rates - Tuesday, August 25, 2020 Business Insider
CardMatch™ | Bankrate Bankrate.com
Clark Howard’s Special Rule for Refinancing Your Mortgage Clark.com - Clark Howard
15-year mortgage rate hits new record low Bankrate.com
Millennials drive huge VA home loan refinance boost in Hampton Roads - The Virginian-Pilot - Virginian-Pilot
Millennials drive huge VA home loan refinance boost in Hampton Roads - The Virginian-Pilot Virginian-Pilot
The Uncommonly Strong Case For Locking a Mortgage Rate Mortgage News Daily
U.S. mortgage rates hold steady at historic low mark Dayton Business Journal
Home buyers: It could pay to wait out for the housing market to open up some more in 2021 - USA TODAY
Your weekly real estate roundup: Atlantic City condo, prepaying on your mortgage, Will Forte's house and more - Press of Atlantic City
Your weekly real estate roundup: Atlantic City condo, prepaying on your mortgage, Will Forte's house and more Press of Atlantic City
5 steps to take after paying off your credit card debt FOX 10 News Phoenix
Fannie's Forecast Sees a Brightening Recovery Mortgage News Daily
Mortgage refinance: Everything you need to know Fox Business
U.S Mortgage Rates Hold Steady thanks to the Dovish FED Yahoo Finance
10 ways to save money on a tight budget Bankrate.com
It’s a Great Time for Co-ops to Refinance, If… Habitat magazine
Mortgage Applications Dip in Mid- September World Property Journal
When should you refinance your mortgage? Fox Business
How to get the best mortgage refinance rates Fox Business
10 things to know before refinancing your mortgage Fox Business
State firm caps cheap mortgage at Sh4 million Business Daily
Don't let mortgage rates distract you. You should also consider this when refinancing - Fox Business
Fed's mortgage-buying spree at $1 trillion with no end in sight Pensions & Investments
Lenders Upbeat About Profits, Loan Demand Mortgage News Daily
Student Loan Refinancing Rates Hit Another New Low Credible News
Compare Today's Mortgage Refinance Rates: Sep 21 Credible News
How to get a low-cost mortgage refinance Bankrate.com
Mortgage refinancing is about to get more expensive Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
How does mortgage refinancing work? Bankrate.com
Refinancing Your Mortgage? Those Rock-Bottom Interest Rates Aren’t for You - The Wall Street Journal
Refinancing Your Mortgage? Those Rock-Bottom Interest Rates Aren’t for You The Wall Street Journal
What Is a Mortgage? Everything to Know About Home Loans Credible News
Mortgage refinance applications spike 79% as homeowners rush to take advantage of lower rates - CNBC
I refinanced my mortgage during COVID-19, and thanks to low interest rates I'll save about $50000 - Business Insider
I refinanced my mortgage during COVID-19, and thanks to low interest rates I'll save about $50000 Business Insider
Rushing to Refinance Your Mortgage: 6 Tips and What to Avoid The New York Times
Should I refinance my house? Mortgage rates drop to 50-year low as coronavirus spreads across the U.S. — and the world - MarketWatch
Should I refinance my house? Mortgage rates drop to 50-year low as coronavirus spreads across the U.S. — and the world MarketWatch