Mortgage and Refinancing Information Channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Understanding Mortgage Basics
As common as mortgages are, there are a surprisingly large number of us who are under false impressions about the way they function, and what they actually are. For one thing, though we do commonly call mortgages "home loans," this is not at all what they actually are. In fact, mortgages aren't loans at all, nor are they something that have been given to you by lenders. More accurately, it is a security instrument that you have provided to a lender. It is a document that protects your lender's interest with your property itself.
A mortgage functions in the following way:
- A mortgager (you) - also referred to as a borrower (leading to the false impression that it is a home loan) and the mortgagee, who is also called the lender (again, falsely leading you to think that a loan has been lent).
- The mortgage document itself produces a lien on your property. This is the collateral - the security - for the mortgagee who has provided the security instrument. This lien is recorded within public records - likely at a county courthouse or similar establishment.
- Ownership of the property is then yours and cannot be transferred to anyone else until you have paid off the amount required to reverse the lien.
- Even if your property is mortgaged, you still own the property wholly and completely. Nobody else, not even the mortgagee has title to the property.
- The only right that your mortgage gives to the mortgagee over your property is to sell it to recover funds in the case that you do not pay off your debt. This is the dreaded process referred to as foreclosure.
- Should the mortgage be used for security, then the foreclosure must progress through the court system in order to be legal in the majority of circumstances. This type of foreclosure is referred to as a judicial foreclosure.
Obviously there is much more to mortgages than this, but these are the basic foundations upon which the mortgaging system has been constructed.
MORE RESOURCES updated Sun. September / 20 / 2020
Mortgage lenders are adding the refinancing fee. You can still avoid it if you act now. - Bankrate.com
Mortgage lenders are adding the refinancing fee. You can still avoid it if you act now. Bankrate.com
How and Why to Refinance Your Mortgage: A Step-By-Step Guide ActionNewsJax.com
A record number of borrowers can now save on a mortgage refinance, as rates set another historic low - CNBC
A record number of borrowers can now save on a mortgage refinance, as rates set another historic low CNBC
Refinance your home before December 1 to avoid paying a new fee Business Insider
How often can you refinance your mortgage? Fox Business
Mortgage refinancing is about to get more expensive Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The best mortgage and refinance rates today: Wed, Sept 16, 2020 | Fixed rates decrease - Business Insider
The best mortgage and refinance rates today: Wed, Sept 16, 2020 | Fixed rates decrease Business Insider
Should you refinance your mortgage? Tennessean
Mortgage Refinance Calculator Clark.com
When Should I Refinance With a No Closing Cost Mortgage? Clark.com - Clark Howard
Complete Checklist of Mortgage Refinancing Requirements Credible News
Today's best mortgage and refinance rates - Tuesday, August 25, 2020 Business Insider
The refinancing boom is just getting started HousingWire
Refinancing just got more expensive, thanks to this new fee | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy - The Mortgage Reports
Refinancing just got more expensive, thanks to this new fee | Mortgage Rates, Mortgage News and Strategy The Mortgage Reports
Clark Howard’s Special Rule for Refinancing Your Mortgage Clark.com - Clark Howard
Is the FHFA about to delay the refi fee? HousingWire
Mortgage refinance: Everything you need to know Fox Business
How to get the best mortgage refinance rates Fox Business
When should you refinance your mortgage? Fox Business
10 things to know before refinancing your mortgage Fox Business
Don't let mortgage rates distract you. You should also consider this when refinancing - Fox Business
What Is a Mortgage? Everything to Know About Home Loans Credible News
Student Loan Refinancing Rates Hit Another New Low Credible News
Compare Today's Mortgage Refinance Rates: Sep 19 Credible News
How to get a low-cost mortgage refinance Bankrate.com
VA Loans Are Exploding in 2020, Data Reveals The Motley Fool
How does mortgage refinancing work? Bankrate.com
Refinancing Your Mortgage? Those Rock-Bottom Interest Rates Aren’t for You - The Wall Street Journal
Refinancing Your Mortgage? Those Rock-Bottom Interest Rates Aren’t for You The Wall Street Journal
Mortgage refinance applications spike 79% as homeowners rush to take advantage of lower rates - CNBC
I refinanced my mortgage during COVID-19, and thanks to low interest rates I'll save about $50000 - Business Insider
I refinanced my mortgage during COVID-19, and thanks to low interest rates I'll save about $50000 Business Insider
Rushing to Refinance Your Mortgage: 6 Tips and What to Avoid The New York Times
Refinancing your mortgage isn't always the right move — here are 6 reasons to hold off, according to a loan officer - Business Insider
Refinancing your mortgage isn't always the right move — here are 6 reasons to hold off, according to a loan officer Business Insider
Should I refinance my house? Mortgage rates drop to 50-year low as coronavirus spreads across the U.S. — and the world - MarketWatch
Should I refinance my house? Mortgage rates drop to 50-year low as coronavirus spreads across the U.S. — and the world MarketWatch
The basics of no-closing cost mortgage refinancing Fox Business
Weekly mortgage refinance applications spike 15% as interest rates plunge to lowest in nearly 4 years - CNBC
Weekly mortgage refinance applications spike 15% as interest rates plunge to lowest in nearly 4 years CNBC