17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will
biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended
outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and
disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used
to leverage small latex balloons. Under inflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always under inflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to
over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly under inflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and
expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Under inflating does little good unless you over inflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24"
and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex
balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to
float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the
next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the
helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick
together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in
the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticeable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This
can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll
have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn
Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
HOBBIES CRAFTS NEWS updated Sun. July / 21 / 2019
Hobby Lobby seeks employees The Robesonian
LUMBERTON — Hobby Lobby will be accepting job applications Monday through Friday for temporary work to get the Lumberton store set up, with the ...
Bottle Cap Magnets | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Dress up your refrigerator with this stylish and functional homespun bottle cap magnet. Feel free to bring in tiny illustrations, photos, or other graphics to ...
Mimosas & Market Bags | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Farmer's Market season is in full swing! Join us before or after your Capitol Square loop to enjoy a #drinkandDIY. Sip a mimosa while decorating a large canvas ...
Beat the heat by crafting indoors Daily Herald
Summer days when it's too hot to play outside are great to pull out the crafting supplies and begin a new project. I have many memories of summer home ...
Obituary: Carole Alves | Obituaries Chinook Observer
OREGON — Long time Naselle resident, Carole Alves (Olsen), 77, passed away peacefully with her family by her side on June 23, 2019, in Salem, Oregon.
Holly Short | Obituaries MyEasternShoreMD
NEWARK, Del. — Holly Ann Spence Short of Newark, Del. died on Saturday, July 13, 2019. She was 50.
Why I Do What I Do Great Lakes Advocate
Since retiring to the Great Lakes Dianne Blanch has embraced the art of felting.
Doris Theresa Rampello | Obituaries Myhorrynews
MYRTLE BEACH—Doris Theresa Rampello was born on July 3, 1936, in Baltimore, Maryland. She married James Vincent Rampello on Nov. 29, 1958.
Community Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
THURSDAY, JULY 18 DFT Telephone Company Retirees meeting, 9 a.m., Demetri's on the Lake, 6 Lake Shore Drive W., Dunkirk. All retirees invited. Always the ...
Hobby Lobby will be coming to Chico Chico Enterprise-Record
CHICO — Hobby Lobby, the national arts and crafts retailer, has confirmed that it will be opening up in Chico. After an inquiry from this newspaper, the company ...
Mary Kassen Tulsa World
Mary Ellen Kassen was born on March 22, 1951 in Wheeling, West Virginia to Thomas Joseph "Bud" Curran, Jr. and Jean Ann Curran of Bellaire, OH, and ...
Sarah EBT Landers Hot Springs Sentinel
Sarah Elizabeth Baim Talley Landers, of Hot Springs, Ark., passed away Monday, June 24, 2019, at the age of 65.
What's happening | Tri-state News telegraphherald.com
SPECIAL AUDIENCE. Today. Veterans Freedom Center Activities, 9 a.m., 2245 Kerper Boulevard. The Salvation Army, 9 a.m.-noon, 1099 Iowa St., intermediate ...
A look at the Norwegian line of succession Royal Central
This summer, Royal Central is taking a look at who is who in the lines of succession around the world. Today we are looking at the line of succession to the ...
2019 Fair Queen Candidates Cresco Times Plain Dealer
CRESCO - Two deserving young ladies will be competing to earn the honor of being named the 2019 “Mighty” Howard County Fair Queen. The contest is ...
25 Crafts to Make and Sell for Profit Small Business Trends
Making and selling crafts can be a fun and lucrative way to make money, providing you're making crafts that people want to buy.
Art & Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Get a head start on your holiday shopping with over 100 vendors at American Family's annual Art & Craft Fair! This event is free and open to the public. There.
Humanities, crafts aren’t ‘hobbies’ Pune Mirror
They are food for the soul and can put food on your table, too. After decades of favouring technical academic subjects over the humanities, in fact pushing and ...
I like crafting Newsday
Hobbies I enjoy are piano, writing, math, and swimming, but my favorite thing to do is crafts. I like to make miniature places like mini campsites out of paper, glue, ...
13 Hobbies That Can Make You Money WomansDay.com
If your full-time job just isn't fulfilling, or you need a little extra income to to reach a goal or pay for a vacation, turning to a hobby that makes money can be a great ...
This N That Lewiston Sun Journal
TOPS. NORWAY — TOPS meets Tuesdays in the Association Hall at Town & Country Mobile Home Village, 99 Town & Country Drive, Norway. Weigh-in is from ...