Best Business Tips and Strategies information channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students
to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Sometime soon you will be attending some training. It may be a one hour tele-seminar, a one day class, professional conference, or a weekend retreat. It may be something that you are paying for, or it may be something your organization is investing in. Whether you are paying the bill or not, you are making a significant investment of your time, energy and attention to participate.
Many people approach training as an adult much like they approached classes when they were in school - and those strategies aren't always the best ones to maximize the value from a learning experience. Regardless of the length, situation or topic, there are some very specific things that you can do to convert the experience into useful learning you can apply in your work and life.
Following are seven strategies that you can apply to convert your time and energy spent in training into real useful learning.
1. Have a goal. Been signed up for some training at work? Decided to attend a seminar on a topic you are interested in? Great! The first thing you should do in any case is set a learning goal. If you are already knowledgeable about the topic and have specific things you want to improve, setting your goal or goals should be easy. If this is training you are less excited about attending, or are unclear about, you can still set a goal like: "Learn one new thing I can apply at work," or "Meet one person I can add to my network." Having a goal and writing it down focuses your mind and will help you gain real practical value from any learning situation.
2. Take personal responsibility. Take responsibility for your own learning experience. The training may not be the most dynamic or engaging you've ever been to, but that is ok, because you have a goal. Make that your focus. Perhaps the trainer isn't going to cover that topic exactly. That's ok - use their expertise. Ask them at a break, probe for other resources. Stay focused on your goal. Your learning is in your control. Take responsibility for getting from the experience what you want and need.
3. Ask questions. Don't understand something? Ask for clarification. Want a little more information? Ask for it. A big part of being responsible for your on learning is asking question to get what you need.
4. Ask the Golden Question. The most important question is the one you won't likely ask out loud. "How can I use what I am learning?" This is the golden question because it helps us translate the learning to real life. Ask this question of yourself through the training experience. I keep a separate place to keep notes on the application ideas I get from asking myself this question when I am in training. This truly is the golden question. Ask it of yourself when you start to get distracted, ask it of yourself at breaks. Soon it will become a natural response and an amazingly valuable habit.
5. Learn from everyone. There are more people to learn from than just the speaker/trainer. The other people in the room can be a great way to learn. Tap into their experience and knowledge. Talk to the people at your table or around you. Think of them as peer coaches. These people can help you learn during the session and might become great people in your network after you leave. Be involved, participate and allow yourself to learn from everyone, not just the person in the front of the room.
6. Build an action plan. At the end of the training, build an action plan. Review your goal(s) and build a plan to implement what you have learned. Reflect on your answers to the golden question and resolve that you will apply those ideas too. If the training has been really valuable, you may have several ideas. This is great, but be realistic on how much you can apply at a time. Build your plan recognizing that you ay be able to implement some things tomorrow, but that other things might need to be spread out over the next week or more.
7. Teach someone else. If you want to really lock in what you have learned, share what you have learned with someone else. Talk to a colleague back in the office. Share the concepts with a friend. Not only have you helped the other person, but you have increased your mastery and clarity of the ideas in your own mind.
Bonus tip # 8 - Review your notes. If you want to really retain what you have learned for the long term, set up a process to review your notes. Review them the evening after the event. Review them the next day, and the next day. Then put a note in your to-do list to review them one week later and one month later. Each review only needs to be five minutes long. You are simply trying to build the concepts in your mind through repetition and giving your mind a chance to spark new connections and new ideas.
As you can see, these strategies don't require any additional monetary investment, just an investment of your focus and approach. Applying just one of these strategies can have a major impact on your results. Applying them collectively will put you among the learning elite.
Put these strategies some where so that you can review them before you attend any training event. Over time the reminders will turn these strategies into your own habits - habits that will help you move towards your goals and potential.
All Rights Reserved, Kevin Eikenberry. Kevin is Chief Potential Officer of The Kevin Eikenberry Group (http://KevinEikenberry.com), a learning consulting company that helps Clients reach their potential through a variety of training, consulting and speaking services. To receive your free special report on "Unleashing Your Potential" go to http://www.kevineikenberry.com/uypw/index.asp or call us at (317) 387-1424 or 888.LEARNER.
Santa Maria Times
Home remedies: How a healthy diet can help manage pain
Santa Maria Times
Good nutrition is an important part of your overall health. A healthy diet should include a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, lean proteins and healthy fats. This gives your body the nutrients and ...
Daily Monitor (press release) (blog)
Home remedies for brittle nails
Daily Monitor (press release) (blog)
Brittle nails often show an underlying health problem. It is important to check for nutrient deficiencies with your nutritionist if you have brittle nails. Nonetheless, there are home remedies that can treat brittle nails. Coconut Oil. It is very ...
TIMESOFINDIA (satire) (press release) (blog)
Home remedies to remove moles
TIMESOFINDIA (satire) (press release) (blog)
A mole is cluster of skin cells which are not spread evenly on the skin. These skin cells are technically known as melanocytes and these are the cells that give the pigment its colour. Most of the moles initially appear as abrasions or skin irritants ...
21 Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats
by Melissa Breyer, Treehugger. From knocking out fleas and ticks to fighting the havoc of hairballs, these simple, all-natural home remedies for dogs and cats are both planet and pet approved. In 2018, Americans are expected to spend more than $72 ...
Times of India
5 home remedies for straight hair
Times of India
If you have had enough of your frizzy hair and are dying to get your hair straightened in a salon, we want to tell you that you can straighten your mane at the comfort of your hair! Well, here's a look at five ways you can have poker straight naturally.
Six Home Remedies That Can Help Stop Nausea
Nausea is an experience a lot of us don't like whether it is motion sickness, pregnancy-related, the side effect of a medication or the dreaded flu, there are a number of home remedies that can relieve you. Essential oils. If you feel nauseous, put ...
12 Home Remedies for Bug Bites That Actually Work
... the nerves that were telling your brain 'this is itchy!' change their tune and start telling your brain 'this is cold!'” she says. “Second, the coldness reduces local swelling and inflammation.” Only apply the ice for a few minutes at a time. Try ...
Tired Of Recurring Pimples? Here Are Simple Home Remedies That'll Help You Get Rid Of Them Stat
That's why it is often recommended to treat conditions, such as cuts, burns, rashes and even psoriasis. However, aloe vera gel when combined with other remedies, however, like tretinoin cream, for instance, is significantly more effective than using ...
These Home Remedies for Jock Itch Might Actually Worsen the Problem
According to Dr. Farhadian, "patients often think that any rash in the groin area is jock itch (medically referred to as tinea cruris), but that couldn't be further from the truth." And that's where the problem with the oft-touted home remedies comes in.
Garlic Burned Through Woman's Toe in Athlete's Foot Home Remedy Disaster
A woman in the U.K. has burned the skin of her left big toe after using raw garlic to treat a fungal infection in a disastrous home remedy. The sliced raw garlic caused a second-degree chemical burn that coursed through her skin, making the top of her ...
Business Attire: 10 Tips to Perfect Your Look
Being appropriately dressed is essential in making good impressions in the business and corporate worlds. A polished image is important in business survival and can be an important factor in career advancement.
How to Apply the 12 Steps for Managment Conflict and Resolution
1. Admit there is a problem.
Reminders For Running A Better Business
The following tips are from an article we contributed to Compute magazine. These are ideas that we all should know, but many times forget.
Ten Tips to Build a Culture of Inspirational Leadership
Leadership, leadership development and leadership training are "Hot" issues in today's business world. A recent Internet search uncovered over 44 million hits on leadership, over 20 million hits on leadership development and 15.
Top 10 Ways Websites Makes Me Suffer
I believe some people create and publish websites for the sole purpose of tormenting their visitors. Browsing various websites and navigating the Web can often be like trying to read on an airplane while a kid kicks the back of your seat and the baby next to you alternates between screaming, crying and drooling on you.
Increase Business Profits - Ten Ways
How do you increase business profits? Answer the following questions carefully, and you'll have a good start.1.
The Top 7 Marketing Tips You Don't Want To Overlook
1. Combine Emotion and LogicConsumers buy because the want to experience the benefits of the product or service you have to offer.
Business Meeting Etiquette
Business etiquette is essentially about building relationships with colleagues, clients or customers. In the business world, it is these people that can influence your success or failure.
Sales Marketing: 10 Tips On How To Promote Yourself And Generate Sales
A lot of people are insecure about buying something or doing business with strangers. To make people feel comfortable to buy from you or do business with you, give them a little information about yourself or business.
7 Strategies for Handling Last Minute Meetings
Have you ever found yourself having to scramble to organize a meeting at the last minute? Wouldn't it be nice that if and when this daunting situation arose, you were well prepared with all necessary information ready at your fingertips? That's why I've developed the following seven survival strategies to help you plan for the inevitable, because you know as well as I, it's going to happen 'someday.' Survival Strategy #1.
Brainstorming! The Key To Wealth
Advertising executive Alex F. Osborne first coined the word "brainstorming" in the early 1940's.
Home Furnishings in India : How to Find an Exporter, manufacturer or Supplier ? Beyond a Database.
Looking for a manufacturer or supplier of home furnishings in India ?Don't know where to begin? Want to find a source but at a loss for resources? Want to do business in India, but unsure what is the best way to go about it? This article attempts to answer some of these questions. Firstly, unless you have a link in India, you will find it a difficult task to sift through the information available on the Internet.
7 Online Banking Success Stories
You have seen their ads and you may have wondered if they are worth a second look. What am I talking about? Online banks! Also known as internet banks, these are financial institutions who provide the majority of their banking services over the internet.
10 Tips for Effective Proofreading
Proofreading may not be terribly fun, but it's one of the most important parts of writing. Have you ever read a web page or a document that had typos, grammatical errors, and punctuation mistakes? This reflects badly on you and your business, and you could easily lose a customer over a simple spelling mistake! Here are some tips for quick and effective proofreading:1.
10 Compelling Reasons Not to Downsize
Almost daily, newspapers, business magazines, radio and television carry reports of corporations, large and small, that are downsizing. Their attention is chiefly focused on the impact to the employees, as they are the ones most acutely experiencing the immediate effects.
Top Ten Reasons to Write a Sales Letter for Each Product? - Part 2
Authors/publishers are great at getting their books written. Entrepreneurs know their products.
Why Don't They Just Get It Done: 7 Performance Tactics for CEOs
Buckling under the weight of chronic corporate restructuring, and frustrated by performers who don't respond to carefully crafted strategic plans, high level executive leaders are being confronted by a growing performance gap between what needs to get done and what gets done. Sound familiar? It's a troublesome trend that is likely happening in your firm right now.
Ten Ways to Manage a Rapidly Growing Business
While some new business owners face the issue of not enough customers, others face the issue of too many customers/clients. Both are serious issues and must be dealt with carefully.
7 Ways To Make A GREAT First Impression!
1. Focus on the other Being known as a 'natural' at interpersonal communication is not just a gift that a select few enjoy.
How to Become an Expert in Your Niche Business
What is a niche business? A niche business is one that caters to the common needs and interests of a focused group of people. For instance, people who play golf forms a niche market and people who are golf instructors form an even tighter and smaller niche.
Akron City Directory
© 2012 - 2018 All Rights Reserved