Best Business Tips and Strategies information channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students
to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Sometime soon you will be attending some training. It may be a one hour tele-seminar, a one day class, professional conference, or a weekend retreat. It may be something that you are paying for, or it may be something your organization is investing in. Whether you are paying the bill or not, you are making a significant investment of your time, energy and attention to participate.
Many people approach training as an adult much like they approached classes when they were in school - and those strategies aren't always the best ones to maximize the value from a learning experience. Regardless of the length, situation or topic, there are some very specific things that you can do to convert the experience into useful learning you can apply in your work and life.
Following are seven strategies that you can apply to convert your time and energy spent in training into real useful learning.
1. Have a goal. Been signed up for some training at work? Decided to attend a seminar on a topic you are interested in? Great! The first thing you should do in any case is set a learning goal. If you are already knowledgeable about the topic and have specific things you want to improve, setting your goal or goals should be easy. If this is training you are less excited about attending, or are unclear about, you can still set a goal like: "Learn one new thing I can apply at work," or "Meet one person I can add to my network." Having a goal and writing it down focuses your mind and will help you gain real practical value from any learning situation.
2. Take personal responsibility. Take responsibility for your own learning experience. The training may not be the most dynamic or engaging you've ever been to, but that is ok, because you have a goal. Make that your focus. Perhaps the trainer isn't going to cover that topic exactly. That's ok - use their expertise. Ask them at a break, probe for other resources. Stay focused on your goal. Your learning is in your control. Take responsibility for getting from the experience what you want and need.
3. Ask questions. Don't understand something? Ask for clarification. Want a little more information? Ask for it. A big part of being responsible for your on learning is asking question to get what you need.
4. Ask the Golden Question. The most important question is the one you won't likely ask out loud. "How can I use what I am learning?" This is the golden question because it helps us translate the learning to real life. Ask this question of yourself through the training experience. I keep a separate place to keep notes on the application ideas I get from asking myself this question when I am in training. This truly is the golden question. Ask it of yourself when you start to get distracted, ask it of yourself at breaks. Soon it will become a natural response and an amazingly valuable habit.
5. Learn from everyone. There are more people to learn from than just the speaker/trainer. The other people in the room can be a great way to learn. Tap into their experience and knowledge. Talk to the people at your table or around you. Think of them as peer coaches. These people can help you learn during the session and might become great people in your network after you leave. Be involved, participate and allow yourself to learn from everyone, not just the person in the front of the room.
6. Build an action plan. At the end of the training, build an action plan. Review your goal(s) and build a plan to implement what you have learned. Reflect on your answers to the golden question and resolve that you will apply those ideas too. If the training has been really valuable, you may have several ideas. This is great, but be realistic on how much you can apply at a time. Build your plan recognizing that you ay be able to implement some things tomorrow, but that other things might need to be spread out over the next week or more.
7. Teach someone else. If you want to really lock in what you have learned, share what you have learned with someone else. Talk to a colleague back in the office. Share the concepts with a friend. Not only have you helped the other person, but you have increased your mastery and clarity of the ideas in your own mind.
Bonus tip # 8 - Review your notes. If you want to really retain what you have learned for the long term, set up a process to review your notes. Review them the evening after the event. Review them the next day, and the next day. Then put a note in your to-do list to review them one week later and one month later. Each review only needs to be five minutes long. You are simply trying to build the concepts in your mind through repetition and giving your mind a chance to spark new connections and new ideas.
As you can see, these strategies don't require any additional monetary investment, just an investment of your focus and approach. Applying just one of these strategies can have a major impact on your results. Applying them collectively will put you among the learning elite.
Put these strategies some where so that you can review them before you attend any training event. Over time the reminders will turn these strategies into your own habits - habits that will help you move towards your goals and potential.
All Rights Reserved, Kevin Eikenberry. Kevin is Chief Potential Officer of The Kevin Eikenberry Group (http://KevinEikenberry.com), a learning consulting company that helps Clients reach their potential through a variety of training, consulting and speaking services. To receive your free special report on "Unleashing Your Potential" go to http://www.kevineikenberry.com/uypw/index.asp or call us at (317) 387-1424 or 888.LEARNER.
Home remedies: Treating anxiety with herbal remedies
Several herbal remedies have been studied as a treatment for anxiety, but more research is needed to understand the risks and benefits. Here's what we know—and don't know: Kava. Kava appeared to be a promising treatment for anxiety, but reports of ...
Medical News Today
Causes and home remedies for toe cramps
Medical News Today
The toes and feet bear the weight of the body every day. People may squeeze them into tight-fitting shoes or subject them to pressure while playing sports, making toe cramps a common complaint. When people experience toe cramps, they may be a mild ...
Home remedies 'no deterrent' against slugs and snails
Home remedies used to deter slugs and snails from prized plants appear to have no scientific basis. Using the likes of grit or egg shells to guard against slug attack did not reduce damage to lettuces in trials. Five popular methods were tested over ...
Slugs have won, RHS says, as landmark study shows that no home remedies work
This Simple Yet Effective Home Remedy Is All You Need To Keep Dandruff Issues At Bay
Excessive flaking on the skin of scalp is referred to as dandruff. With winter soon approaching, dandruff is more likely to increase or become severe. Dandruff can be easily detected as it causes small, round or white to grey patches on the scalp. It ...
Daily Monitor (press release) (blog)
Home remedies for tongue blisters
Daily Monitor (press release) (blog)
According to drstevenlin.com, an online portal, tongue blisters are commonly due to an injury such as unsudden biting of the tongue or brushing it so hard with a toothbrush. They can also be caused by food allergies. However, you can try some natural ...
"Dr. Google" does not know your pet, so see your veterinarian instead
The Oakland Press
As a veterinarian in a semi-rural part of the state, I see some pretty creative home remedies from clients. Some folks around here do not like to take their pets (or themselves) to the doctor unless it's something that causes genuine alarm. Instead ...
Coos Bay World
Home remedies for my bees
Coos Bay World
It was a very busy bee season for me. I planned for my three pound package of bees April 22, from GloryBee through Cascade Farm & Outdoor but additionally gathered seven (assisted on two) swarms, from as far north as Lakeside to as far south as ...
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier
Home remedies: Coping with conjunctivitis
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier
Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is an inflammation or infection of the transparent membrane (conjunctiva) that lines your eyelid and covers the white part of your eyeball. When small blood vessels in the conjunctiva become inflamed, they're more visible ...
Medical News Today
Home remedies for relieving gas during pregnancy
Medical News Today
A woman may also experience more gas during the later stages of pregnancy, when the growing fetus places additional pressure on the abdominal cavity. While it is impossible to prevent gas during pregnancy, several safe home remedies can reduce gas ...
Seven amazing home remedies for bad breath
You do not have to worry about bad breath, however, since there are easy ways of getting your fresh breath back, other than maintaining good oral hygiene. These remedies can be done from the comfort of your home, saving you a trip to the dentist: Oranges.
Business Attire: 10 Tips to Perfect Your Look
Being appropriately dressed is essential in making good impressions in the business and corporate worlds. A polished image is important in business survival and can be an important factor in career advancement.
How to Apply the 12 Steps for Managment Conflict and Resolution
1. Admit there is a problem.
Reminders For Running A Better Business
The following tips are from an article we contributed to Compute magazine. These are ideas that we all should know, but many times forget.
Ten Tips to Build a Culture of Inspirational Leadership
Leadership, leadership development and leadership training are "Hot" issues in today's business world. A recent Internet search uncovered over 44 million hits on leadership, over 20 million hits on leadership development and 15.
Top 10 Ways Websites Makes Me Suffer
I believe some people create and publish websites for the sole purpose of tormenting their visitors. Browsing various websites and navigating the Web can often be like trying to read on an airplane while a kid kicks the back of your seat and the baby next to you alternates between screaming, crying and drooling on you.
Increase Business Profits - Ten Ways
How do you increase business profits? Answer the following questions carefully, and you'll have a good start.1.
The Top 7 Marketing Tips You Don't Want To Overlook
1. Combine Emotion and LogicConsumers buy because the want to experience the benefits of the product or service you have to offer.
Business Meeting Etiquette
Business etiquette is essentially about building relationships with colleagues, clients or customers. In the business world, it is these people that can influence your success or failure.
Sales Marketing: 10 Tips On How To Promote Yourself And Generate Sales
A lot of people are insecure about buying something or doing business with strangers. To make people feel comfortable to buy from you or do business with you, give them a little information about yourself or business.
7 Strategies for Handling Last Minute Meetings
Have you ever found yourself having to scramble to organize a meeting at the last minute? Wouldn't it be nice that if and when this daunting situation arose, you were well prepared with all necessary information ready at your fingertips? That's why I've developed the following seven survival strategies to help you plan for the inevitable, because you know as well as I, it's going to happen 'someday.' Survival Strategy #1.
Brainstorming! The Key To Wealth
Advertising executive Alex F. Osborne first coined the word "brainstorming" in the early 1940's.
Home Furnishings in India : How to Find an Exporter, manufacturer or Supplier ? Beyond a Database.
Looking for a manufacturer or supplier of home furnishings in India ?Don't know where to begin? Want to find a source but at a loss for resources? Want to do business in India, but unsure what is the best way to go about it? This article attempts to answer some of these questions. Firstly, unless you have a link in India, you will find it a difficult task to sift through the information available on the Internet.
7 Online Banking Success Stories
You have seen their ads and you may have wondered if they are worth a second look. What am I talking about? Online banks! Also known as internet banks, these are financial institutions who provide the majority of their banking services over the internet.
10 Tips for Effective Proofreading
Proofreading may not be terribly fun, but it's one of the most important parts of writing. Have you ever read a web page or a document that had typos, grammatical errors, and punctuation mistakes? This reflects badly on you and your business, and you could easily lose a customer over a simple spelling mistake! Here are some tips for quick and effective proofreading:1.
10 Compelling Reasons Not to Downsize
Almost daily, newspapers, business magazines, radio and television carry reports of corporations, large and small, that are downsizing. Their attention is chiefly focused on the impact to the employees, as they are the ones most acutely experiencing the immediate effects.
Top Ten Reasons to Write a Sales Letter for Each Product? - Part 2
Authors/publishers are great at getting their books written. Entrepreneurs know their products.
Why Don't They Just Get It Done: 7 Performance Tactics for CEOs
Buckling under the weight of chronic corporate restructuring, and frustrated by performers who don't respond to carefully crafted strategic plans, high level executive leaders are being confronted by a growing performance gap between what needs to get done and what gets done. Sound familiar? It's a troublesome trend that is likely happening in your firm right now.
Ten Ways to Manage a Rapidly Growing Business
While some new business owners face the issue of not enough customers, others face the issue of too many customers/clients. Both are serious issues and must be dealt with carefully.
7 Ways To Make A GREAT First Impression!
1. Focus on the other Being known as a 'natural' at interpersonal communication is not just a gift that a select few enjoy.
How to Become an Expert in Your Niche Business
What is a niche business? A niche business is one that caters to the common needs and interests of a focused group of people. For instance, people who play golf forms a niche market and people who are golf instructors form an even tighter and smaller niche.
Akron City Directory
© 2012 - 2018 All Rights Reserved